1. Build Immunities. Breast milk decreases the incidence and/or severity of many infectious diseases.
2. Lose Weight. Breastfeeding burns an average of 500 calories a day, so the pounds melt away faster than that pint of Ben & Jerry’s you’re eating.
3. Bond with Baby. Bonding over a bottle works too, especially for daddy, but the intimacy of nursing is unequaled.
4. Reduce Risk of SIDS. Post-neonatal mortality rates in the United States are 21 percent lower in breastfed infants.
5. Fight Cancer. Breastfeeding decreases your risk of breast and ovarian cancers. Mothers who breastfeed also have a reduced risk of osteoporosis later in life.
6. Save Money. Formula costs around $150 per month, so start a college savings plan for your little one (or buy a new dress!) with the money you save by breastfeeding.
7. Keep it Simple. No bottles and no warmer necessary means you’re ready to feed your baby any time, any place. (If you’re concerned about privacy, consider a nursing cover).
8. Start Smart. Studies propose breastfed infants have higher IQs.
9. Save Time. Who wants to wash bottles when you could be playing with your newborn or taking a nap?
10. Play it Safe. Research is continually revealing more benefits of breastfeeding. Recent studies suggest breastfed babies may have less risk of obesity and lower cholesterol levels as adults.