I love Christmastime, but this year we’re just not prepared. I had so many ideas for gifts to make, ways to mark the season, stories to tell and projects to do with my children. But… the reality is that my husband and I have been remodeling an old farmhouse for the past 7 months, and we only just moved in last Wednesday. Moving into a dusty remodel, with incomplete closets (um, no shelves yet) and an sadly unfinished entry room, makes for quite a challenge anytime of the year. Add to that our insistence to find and decorate a potted Christmas tree, attend Christmas parties, send out Christmas cards, etc. all while trying to unpack and you’ll understand while I’m feeling a bit more Christmas “crunch” than Christmas cheer.
So, right now, I’m writing this post to remind myself and others to STOP and think about what I really want to accomplish in these last 8 1/2 days before Christmas. I don’t want to look back on Christmas 08 as a blur of nothingness. I want to:
- Put together that Advent chain and take off the first chain at dinner tonight.
- Read aloud a Christmas story as a family each night before bed.
- Mail Christmas cards by Thursday.
- Bake cookies with Aria on Saturday to bring to the elderly.
- Make soap with Aria and Liam on Sunday for Grandma Nana.
- Wrap presents for others with Aria on Sunday.
- Enjoy Christmas Eve by inviting our friends over for the first playdate at our new house!